Saturday, April 18, 2009

Back to work

Wow what roller coaster ride, not only emotionaly but physically. I was employed by one of the largest oilfield service companies for a matter of about three weeks until my former employer called me back. Now being a loyal person I do not like to jump job to job especially in todays job market but when money pays your bills and not loyalty It's time to go towards the money.So leaving a company after three weeks doesn't look so well notonly on a resume but also on me as a person. However my old employer coincidently my previous employer gave me all my seniority back along with my same pay. Not bad considering when I was caught up in the lay off hoopla the remaining emploees got paycuts. I was told the lay off was because I was low on the totem pole which was true only being there about a year. And I learned there was alot of us laid off, to many in fact that now I am back I am working my ass off. But I'm not complaining I have been on the other side of the ball. Now I understand that a few of my co-workers had stuck their necks out and wanted me to come back which I am greatful for. It's nice to have people that you don't even know all that well looking out for you. I like to think of myself as a likeable person who can get along with just about everyone and the people I don't care for I can just fake it. I am a loyal and honest person who enjoys his job and I do a good job, all qualifications that make me a good friend and employee. Now on to my physicall roller coaster ride. When I applied for the big company, I'll call Red I had to take a physical. Not to bad from the last time I remembered that I had taken a while back but this one was different. I had the typical breath and DOT urine which wasn't bad but then came to the "Work Steps". What a pain in the ass. One of the tests was to squat down and move pegs with both hands up and down the board. Easy Huh? Ya it was for the first 10 minutes. I don't know how long I did this but It seemed like forever. The other things were like carrying a tool bocc up and down stairs and basic stuff you would do day to day working offshore.

No comments: